Station patronage in Victoria for 2013-2018

I have recently acquired patronage data for all railway stations in Victoria between 2013-2018.

After requests to Public Transport Victoria and V/Line were answered last week, I compiled this data into two spreadsheets for your viewing pleasure:

I will be writing a series of posts interrogating this data more closely over the coming weeks.

Enjoy!

13 Comments

Join the discussion and tell us your opinion.

atlight2reply
18 February, 2019 at 7:47 pm

This is great data! I wonder why Dingee isn’t in the list of V/Line stations? I would have thought it would be the least used in Victoria, given the low population in its catchment. The drop-off in patronage at Elmore in 2016-17 looks suspect.

Philipreply
18 February, 2019 at 8:54 pm
– In reply to: atlight2

Good pickup – I’m not sure! Elmore does look a bit suspicious. It could be a data error or perhaps some sort of local disruptions. I had a look but couldn’t find anything though.

Which are the least and most used stations in Victoria? | Philip Mallisreply
21 February, 2019 at 7:02 am

[…] mentioned in a previous post, I recently acquired station patronage data for Melbourne and Victoria for 2013 to […]

Jamesreply
22 February, 2019 at 1:42 pm

Did they not provide any information regarding Horsham and the stations out there that are serviced by the Overland?

Philipreply
23 February, 2019 at 9:14 am
– In reply to: James

Good pickup – apparently not! The spreadsheets on the linked post are all the information that I received. I’ll definitely ask for them next time.

jamesbushellauJareply
22 February, 2019 at 1:43 pm

Also, did you request coach information?

Philipreply
23 February, 2019 at 9:14 am
– In reply to: jamesbushellauJa

No didn’t actually. I will definitely ask for that next time as well.

Which station in Melbourne has the fastest-growing patronage? | Philip Mallisreply
7 March, 2019 at 7:05 am

[…] post continues a series analysing station patronage data for Melbourne and Victoria from 2013 to 2018. This time, we are going to look at patronage growth […]

Melbourne bus patronage data 2008 – 2017 | Philip Mallisreply
5 April, 2019 at 7:00 am

[…] with the railway station data, compiling this into a comprehensive and useable file took quite some time. I had to amalgamate […]

Train services vs patronage – Daniel Bowenreply
12 June, 2019 at 8:32 pm

[…] been reminded that Philip Mallis posted a different set of data, showing annual patronage at stations, including both V/Line and […]

leoreply
6 July, 2019 at 1:07 am

Is buses replacing trains counted as station patronage aswell?

Philipreply
6 July, 2019 at 7:12 pm
– In reply to: leo

Good question, I don’t believe so. That is why for some years you can see a drop in patronage (e.g. for the LXRA works on the Dandenong Line in Murrumbeena/Carnegie/Hughesdale).

Station patronage in Melbourne for 2005-2019 | Philip Mallisreply
14 November, 2019 at 7:11 am

[…] the same method as last year, I have asked for and obtained the latest 2018-19 patronage data from the Department of Transport. […]